Schedule & Events
"kindred and friends, to neighbors and countrymen, but to all mankind, gathering all into one family, under the bonds of love, charity, peace, common wants" -Thomas Jefferson
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/george_washington_135801
Tentative 2019 National Schedule
Saturday, October 26th
Sunday, October 27th
Monday, October 28th
Tuesday, October 29th
Wednesday, October 30th
Sweepstakes: Harry Bennett
Bitches: Gene Vacarro
Dogs and Intersex: Robert Stein A bathing area will be provided, details forthcoming. For Exhibitors that are working out of their vans, Reserved Van Parking will be available at a cost of 75.00 for the week. These double size spaces will be the closest to the Ballroom. Please email Erika Peters for more information.
Evening and Education
Trick or Treat! Welcome Party
- Meet with your Old friends and make some NEW ones.
- Pick up your reuseable Logo shopping bag and shop the vendors. Each Vendor will have a free treat for the attendees.
- Peruse and support a special Silent Auction with items offered from Carolina, Richmond and Tidewater Clubs! All proceeds will go back to these hard working Clubs.
Chair: Anna Tyler
The Genetic Health of The Afghan Hound: Practical Information for Breeders and Owners
Presented by Jerold S. Bell, DMV, Adjunct Professor of Genetics, Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, Tufts University.
An analysis of the Afghan Hound gene pool, discussing how different types of matings manipulate the gene pools of our dogs. Topics covered to include:
- Pedigree analysis of the most influential Afghan Hound dogs and bitches
- Genetic Diversity in the Breed
- "Popular Sire Syndrome”
- The Different Types of Genetic Tests
- Proper Uses of Genetic Tests
- Breeding Recommendations to Manage Different Types of Genetic Disorders.
Parent Club Judges' Seminar
- The morning will start with a classroom presentation reviewing the Afghan Hound standard.
- Attendees will then be paired with a ringside mentor to witness the metamorphosis of the Afghan Hound from puppy to adulthood through class judging.
- Hands-on classroom will commence after winner’s judging.
Attendees will be invited to stay overnight to watch the Best of Breed competition the following day.
Registration will begin in 2019.
Gala Awards Masquerade
'Tis the Season and Attendees will be encouraged to dress in their 'Spirited' Best. Awards will not only be awarded to the best dogs of the year, but also the best of the Costumes of the evening!