Schedule & Events
"kindred and friends, to neighbors and countrymen, but to all mankind, gathering all into one family, under the bonds of love, charity, peace, common wants" -Thomas Jefferson
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/george_washington_135801
Tentative 2019 National Schedule
Saturday, October 26th
Sunday, October 27th
Monday, October 28th
Tuesday, October 29th
Wednesday, October 30th
All conformation events and grooming will be held indoors at the Founder's Inn and Spa.
National Judging Panel
Junior Showmanship: Erika Peters
Sweepstakes, Breeders Class: Harry Bennett
Bitches: Gene Vacarro
Dogs and Intersex: Robert Stein A bathing area will be provided. For Exhibitors that are working out of their vans, Reserved Van Parking will be available at a cost of 75.00 for the week. These double size spaces will be the closest to the Ballroom. Please email Erika Peters for more information.
Agility Chair: Mikki Razor
As in years past, the Afghan Hound Club of America has designated the Moore County Kennel Club All Breed Agility Trial as its Agility National. This Trial will be held at the Bon-Clyde Learning Center, 3030 Lee Avenue, Sanford, NC.
Lure Coursing Chair: Robert "Bob" Jordan
Lure Coursing will be held off site at LA Quest Whippet Haven, 2867 Carsley's Rd, Dendron, VA
Premium will be available soon!
Evening and Education
Trick or Treat! Welcome Party
Sunday October 27, 2019
Please join us for a special evening of fun, light refreshements and friends.
- Meet with your Old friends and make some NEW ones.
- Pick up your reuseable Logo shopping bag and shop the vendors. Each Vendor will have a free treat for the attendees.
- Peruse and support a special Silent Auction with items offered from Carolina, Richmond and Tidewater Clubs! All proceeds will go back to these hard working Clubs.
Chylothorax Research Blood Draw Clinic
Monday October 28, 2019
Support the AHCA Sponsored Research. Healthy non affected Afghan Hounds are requested to donate blood samples to furhter research. Vet Techitions will be onsite to draw blood and ship overnight to the University of Minnesota.
Monday October 28, 2019
Chair: Anna Tyler
NOTE: this is an AFTERNOON event starting at approximately 2:00pm
The Genetic Health of The Afghan Hound: Practical Information for Breeders and Owners
Presented by Jerold S. Bell, DMV, Adjunct Professor of Genetics, Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, Tufts University.
An analysis of the Afghan Hound gene pool, discussing how different types of matings manipulate the gene pools of our dogs. Topics covered to include:
- Pedigree analysis of the most influential Afghan Hound dogs and bitches
- Genetic Diversity in the Breed
- "Popular Sire Syndrome”
- The Different Types of Genetic Tests
- Proper Uses of Genetic Tests
- Breeding Recommendations to Manage Different Types of Genetic Disorders.
Menu: Light appetizers to include cheese display, dips, cookies and soft drinks.
Reservations necessary 20.00 per person,
Tuesday October 29, 2019
Chair: Harry Bennett A Breed Education seminar in three parts.
- The morning will start with a classroom presentation reviewing the Afghan Hound standard.
- Attendees will then be paired with a ringside mentor to witness the metamorphosis of the Afghan Hound from puppy to adulthood through class judging.
- Hands-on classroom will commence after winner’s judging.
Attendees will be invited to stay overnight to watch the Best of Breed competition the following day.
Registration is limited to 20 attendees. To register please complete and submit the following form.
Tuesday October 29, 2019
One of the most anticipated events of the year, the 2019 AHCA Art Auction will be like no other. A select group of artists will be offering ORIGINAL works made in "The Spirit of Independence ".
NOTE: Each dinner reservation is automatically entered in a drawing for a FREE ROOM night credit at the FOUNDER'S INN.
Buffet Menu: Greek Salad, Puttanesca Chicken, Crab Stuffed Sole w/ Lemon Caper Dill Cream Sauce, Rappini, Edamame Pasta w/ Garlic, Tomatoes, Anchovies, Olives & Capers, Dessert. One drink ticket redeamable for beer, wine or soft drink at the bar.
Reservations necessary 45.00 per person, 50.00 two weeks prior
Are you an artist interested in participating in this year's Auction? Learn more HERE.
“Come as you Were” A Masquerade Awards Dinner
Wednesday October 30, 2019
'Tis the Season and Attendees will be encouraged to “Come as you Were” costume dress. Awards will not only be awarded to the best dogs of the year, but also the best of the Costumes of the evening!
Salad: Mixed Greens, Fig, Goat Cheese & Walnuts. Choice of Dressings
- Prime Rib w/ Roasted Mushroom Horseradish Sauce
- Seared Atlantic Salmon w/ Grilled Fennel & Dill Beur-blanc Sauce
- Vegetarian Mushroom & Root Vegetable Pie.